Chasing Amy

We don't have tomorrow. We only have today.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I left Mexico city and all the wonderful excitement and horrible smells and headed to Puebla 2 hours east of Mexiuco city. Puebla is a beautiful colonial city with drab streets followed by breathtaking buildings at the next turn. They have painted tiles and pottery for sale everywhere and I found the cheapest meal I have had yet. Tacos for 25p each! I think i had about 12 but even so......!
I left Puebla after the great experience with the kids at the farm and arrived in San Cristobal. It was cold! Despite what the news said there was no trouble there. There was some graffitti on the walls mentioning Oaxaca but nothing where I was. I went to Tuxtla Gutierrez and went down the CaƱon Del Sumidero on a boat and saw my first (wild) crocodile! Also took a trip to see waterfalls and the Lagod de Montebello and the tour guide took us right to the border and told us that everything accross the water was Guatemala! Pretty cool!

I met 2 guys in San Cristobal and we had an ADVENTURE! I wanted to go to remote as I could get in Mexico but without a decent command (yet) of Spanish and travelling as a lone female is never that safe i wasnt going to go to Laguna Miramar.Then I met Damu and Stuart (Indian and Scottish) and we all went together. We caught a 2 hour bus from San Cristobal to Ocasingo and then a 7 hour truck ride (and i DO mean truck, pics to follow!) through the jungle on a dusty road with huge holes in it, jam packed in a truck with supplies for the village and loads of people who only spoke their native language and no english and very little spanish!After 7 hours we arrived at San Quentin and then walked to Ejido Emiliano Zapata both tiny villages.We had to find and speak to the President of the village to ask him if we could stay for 3 nights and he agreed and we slept in Cabanas slightly out of the village. They were built of concrete and had iron roofs and were the best houses in the villages, palatial in comparison with everyone else!We ate dinner every night in a tiny house that they fed travellers in and for pudding he walked outside and picked us grapefruit or oranges or anything!
They were a proper democracy and had announcements every few hours as everyone in the village had to be consulted on every decision!The next day we walked 3 hours to Laguna Miramar and it was well worth the journey. We sat and sunbathed all day and there was a family down there as well who were sent there with 2 way radios to make sure we were ok and got there and back safely.It was an amazing experience. For 3 days I saw no cars or ANYTHING electric AT ALL. They had a satelite phone and that was it!
After our 7 hour trip back I went to Palenque where I am now and am hopefully going to Guatemala tomorrow! I bought a hammock yesterday and I now sleep out under banana leaf roofs listening to monkeys. Oh yes by the way its HOT HOT here!! Ok tried to upload photos but is not working (yet again!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home